An online exploration into mixed media painting,
ecology and your own innate wildness.
The course began Monday, June 19th, 2017. You are still welcome to join us – just dive right in & catch up at your own pace. You’ll have access to the course through December 19th, 2017.
Are you wild at heart?
Do you cheer for that dandelion that pushed its way up through the cracks in the sidewalk?
Are you astonished when you gaze deeply into the face of a flower?
You’re not alone.
There’s a whole community of us out here who are wild at heart – who are artists and who restore ourselves with time in nature.
When I say wild, I mean connected.
When I say wild, I mean free.
When I say wild I mean we understand that we are a part of nature and connected to the cycles of life. We come alive when we are in a place where we feel free to explore our true nature.
Wild Wonder is an e-course where you can learn how to make mixed-media paintings, while being invited to go outside and connect with nature.
This course is all about seeking those glimpses of wildness and infusing your paintings with your own wild experiences – your true nature made visible. We will learn the basics of botany, and ecology, and weave them into our paintings.
I’ll be by your side, guiding you every step of the way.
This 5-week online workshop includes:
- Beautiful, high definition video tutorials
- Fun and forgiving art techniques including painting, drawing, and collage
- Botany basics
- Invitations to explore your world including guided walks and inspiration gathering
- Prompts for your self-discovery including journaling and reflection
- Interviews with inspiring artists and scientists like Kelly Rae Roberts, Mati Rose McDonough, Carrie Schmitt, Kristie Reddick of the Bug Chicks, Nancy Hopps, and more!
- The course videos feature music from Peter Janson, Nathaniel Talbot, the Shook Twins and Elephant Revival.
And the best part? You’ll find yourself supported in a group of kindred spirits!
Frequently asked questions:
How much time should I budget for this class each day?
It depends how much time you want to dedicate to the course material. There will be a prompt each weekday which will range in scope from five minutes to 40 minutes. Feel free to take the lessons that resonate most and let go of the rest! You can also catch up easily on a weekend morning. Most importantly, this class is for you and you get to engage as much or as little as you like.
What if I live in the city?
It doesn’t matter if you live in the city or in the wilderness, we will explore our wild hearts wherever we live!
What if I’m just a beginner?
This class is perfect for you even if you’re a total beginner. The prompts are designed to meet you right where you are with fun and forgiving art techniques. You’ll be guided through how to make a mixed-media painting like I do. You’ll be learning collage, drawing, and painting techniques. You’ll also be prompted to do self-reflection through guided journaling, guided meditations, and by watching interviews with inspiring artists and scientists. We will connect inside the online classroom as well as within our private Facebook group.
Will you be available to answer my questions?
Yes of course! I’ll be active in the online classroom for the full five weeks that the class runs, and I will also be available in live video “office hours” where you can ask me questions in real time. The live video office hours will be held each Wednesday at 12pm PST on June 21, June 28, July 5, July 12, and July 19. If you cannot make the live video office hours, they will be recorded so you can always watch the recording later.
What’s the price?
Register now! The course began Monday, June 19th, 2017. You are still welcome to join us – just dive right in & catch up at your own pace. You’ll have access to the course through December 19th, 2017.
What do I get when I sign up for this course?
- You get a full, juicy guided painting experience with me! I am guiding you through how to make layered, mixed-media paintings in my style, using painting, drawing and collage. I am teaching you the entire process that I teach in my wilderness art retreats, plus a whole lot more.
- When you sign up, I will invite you to a page on my website that has our materials list and a welcome video so you can begin gathering your materials for the course. It may take me up to 24 hours to invite you to that page once I see your payment processed.
- The course begins June 19th, and I will invite you to our private online classroom the night before the course begins. There is a new prompt released every weekday morning for five weeks. The course is designed for busy working people so that you can do one lesson each day as they come out, or do them all at once on the weekend.
- There are engaging video lessons where I guide you through the painting process, teach you botany, lead you through drawing and collecting imagery.
- There are beautiful photos and essays describing details of the process.
- There are journaling prompts and recordings that you can listen to as you walk outside while gathering inspiration.
- There are interviews with inspirational artists and scientists whose work will explores the connections between botany, ecology, art, and humanity.
- This is all held inside our private online classroom where you will find the lessons and be able to interact with all of the other students and ask me questions directly.
- I’ll be active in the online classroom for the full five weeks that the class runs, and I will also be available in live video “office hours” where you can ask me questions in real time. The live video office hours will be held each Wednesday at 12pm PST on June 21, June 28, July 5, July 12, and July 19, 2017. If you cannot make the live video office hours, they will be recorded so you can always watch the recording later.
- You will have access to the course for six months total so don’t worry if you cannot make it through all of the material in five weeks. You are welcome to go at your own pace.
- We will also have a private Facebook group where you can interact with everyone else who is taking part in the course. And we will all connect on Instagram via the course hashtag #wildwonder. This is one of the most wonderful parts of taking an art class online – connecting with your kindred spirits!
What materials do I need to plan on purchasing for this course?
You will get a detailed materials list when you register for the course. We use a wide range of mixed-media supplies in this course. I would budget at least fifty dollars for art supplies for this course. These materials range in price a LOT. You can paint very affordably, if you paint with craft paint or paints that are on sale, and if you are able to find re-used surfaces to paint on. You can also spend a LOT of money if you buy the top quality professional paints, brushes, and canvases. I will go into more detail when you register but at a minimum you are going to want to be able to purchase several painting surfaces, (such as canvas or wood panels), along with at least a half a dozen colors of paint, brushes, collage papers, collage medium, drawing pencils, and drawing paper.
I see that you teach with acrylic paints. Can I use watercolors or gouache or oils instead?
My teaching methods are largely based on using acrylic paint, along with collage and drawing. The main reason that I use acrylic paint is that I like to build up thick layers, where we completely cover what is below. You might be able to get this effect with a thick layer of gouache, especially with a nice titanium white mixed in, but it is more reliable to get this effect with acrylic paint. I do not recommend using watercolors as watercolors by nature are transparent so you won’t get the same amount of coverage when layering, as you would with acrylic paint. I do not recommend using oils for this process as they take longer to dry, and part of the fun of working in my collage+drawing+painting process is the ability to quickly work on top of the previously dry layers of your painting.
That being said, there are many parts of the course, such as the writing and drawing prompts, expert interviews, and the interactive community aspect, that have nothing to do with what type of paint you use. However, the main part of the course is where I take you through all the steps to make a layered painting with collage and acrylic, and that is where you might want to try acrylic paint, to experience the technique.
I would love to be a part of this but I can’t afford this class. Are there any scholarships available?
Yes. It is important to me that this experience be accessible to you even if you can’t afford the full cost. If you crave this experience but the price is an obstacle, please email me at email@example.com to apply for a scholarship. Please keep in mind that you will still need to provide your own art materials.
How long will I have access to the course?
Six months. You will have access to the online classroom with all of the course material from June 19th through December 19th, 2017.
How long will I have access to Annamieka?
You will have access to me the whole time that the course is live. I (Annamieka) will be active in the online classroom from Monday, June 19th on through the final day of class on Friday, July 21st 2017. I will be holding weekly office hours via live video every Wednesday at 12pm PST. In addition, you will be able to ask me questions and share your work in the online classroom, as well as the private Facebook group and through our Instagram hashtag for the course.
If you have more questions – ask me! I’d love to hear from you!
Just email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Embrace your wild heart and make paintings
inspired by your own wildest places.
The course began June 19th, 2017, and runs for five weeks. There is a guided lesson every weekday, but you can catch up on the weekends. You’ll have plenty of time to work through the course materials, as you will have access to the course for a total of six months.
How much does the course cost?
Register now! The course begins Monday, June 19th.